Image Map

DIY Floating Shelves

Hi! Today I am sharing how I made those floating shelves in my sons bedroom makeover I posted about the other day.  This was so simple and so cheap, my two favorite things in DIY. :)
So first off, I went to Goodwill and found a book for .99 cents.  I needed the book to be pretty big but not too big.  The one I found is about 13" x 9".
Once I had my book I headed to the hardware store and bought a 4" L bracket and 1/2" screws.
I got the 1/2 screws because that was about how thick the book I found was.  If you have a thick book you may want to use longer nails.

Once I had my materials I was ready to drill! I opened up the back cover of the book and placed the L bracket facing down to the ground. Then just screwed my screws straight into the book.  I had to hold the pages down tightly so the screw would go all the way, but made sure it didn't come out the front cover of the book.
(*note: if I was doing this again I would use two brackets spaced apart for more stability once its on the wall.)    
After I got the bracket screwed into the book I simply used hot glue to attach the back cover and hide the bracket.
When the glue was dry I was done and it was ready for the wall!
I anchored my screws into the wall when I hung them up.   And added all of Carter's favorite books! This is such a fun element, and the fact it was so easy and inexpensive makes it even better! 

Visit thecsiproject.com
Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. That is really cool! I can't believe it is just an L bracket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look fantastic! I found your link up next to mine at the Monday Funday party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-last-weeks-top-three.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. So clever and simple. Thanks for sharing! I just started following you via Bloglovin'. Can't wait to see what other fun things you share with us!

    Amy @ http://delineateyourdwelling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genius! I love it and it is so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! So perfect and magical for a kiddos room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Found you on Whimsey Wed blog hop. I am so doing this for the play room. I love, love, love it! Pinned and now following via Bloglovin'
    ~Jackie @ The Non-Martha Momma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, this is just way too cool!!! Love your idea!!
    Stopping by from The Inspiration Exchange!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are seriously adorable and so clever! I love it!

    We would love for you to link up at our new mega-party Work it Wednesday if you haven't already. Each link will be shown on 4 blogs! Work it Wednesday

    - Krista @ the happy housie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a cute idea! I love it! I pinned for later. Julia @ www.juliakendrick.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love love this idea! Great job. They turned out fantastically. Thank you so much for sharing this over at the Pinworthy Projects Party this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How stinkin' cool are these?! I had to Pin it for a future kids room. I never thought about how simple this would be. Thanks for the awesome idea!

    Kylie
    absolutelyarkansas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this idea!!! Sharing it on G+! Thanks for linking it up at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great repurpose and so charming! Featured you today from the Whimsy Wednesday Link Party!! Thanks for sharing!

    http://www.ohmy-creative.com/home/decor-accents/diy-craft-trends-style-home/

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Nice! I love these floating shelves :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So creative and cute for a child's room! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing! So creative and such a cute way to store books for your little one. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super smart and simple DIY! Brillant! I think I will be using this in my playroom and will totally link back when I post about it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a unique idea--- thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete